By: Gerald Royster
So I recently have been seeing headlines that Elizabeth Warren has called for the impeachment of President Donald Trump. Honestly all I can do at the current moment is roll my eyes. For the last two years, there’s been a deep investigation into potential collusion and criminal activity of Donald Trump and his organization. In a short summary, there’s nothing to incriminate him. Though there are instances where things may seem morally wrong, or even examples of attempts at Obstruction of justice, there’s nothing there essentially. Of course there’s no telling what’s been redacted. But I wont go too deep into that. Essentially my point I’m trying to make is, if the democrats want to win in 2020, they’ll need a ba.
So far the only base I can decipher from the Democratic platform can be summed up as “At least I’m not Donald Trump..” Seriously that may work for some. For a lot of people who felt burned in 2016 that will be enough, but for a lot of independents, swing voters and those like myself who are against the two party system we’ll need more. For starters I consider myself a liberal, with libertarian and moderate views. When it comes to gun laws, I do believe in the 2nd amendment, but believe background checks should be mandatory and that those with certain mental health issues shouldn’t be able to obtain guns. So to say my political beliefs are a bit all over the place is an understatement. More times than not since turning 18 nearly 11 years ago, I’ve voted democrat or independent,or in the Maryland governor races Republican. (Big Larry Hogan Fan).But this election cycle where the mainstream media has tried using every scare tactic to sway us to the side of the Left, I’m left with one question… Whats the Plan?
I love this country. I was born on flag day, ironically the same day as the current President. I grew up wanting to be a marine or a police officer, somehow that whole plan got derailed and now I work in the private sector in IT. I always want our country to win, and always hope no matter who sits in the oval office that they will do what’s right for this country as a whole. We are a nation currently greatly divided, and honestly I think whoever runs needs to emphasize bringing the nation together. I’m looking for a candidate who has a plan other than simply getting Trump out of office.
Again speaking to all hopeful candidates what’s your plan?
- What’s your plan on Health Care?
- There are still tons without proper health care,and the price of medicine is going up seemingly everyday. Things people need to live are seemingly getting more and more unobtainable
- What’s your plan on the nation’s deficit?
- Currently as a nation we are at a $22 trillion federal deficit, and seemingly no solution in site. Our military spending is astronomical while, our roads, and bridges fall apart. Our country currently has millions living in poverty and without sufficient needs. Puerto Rico is still recovering from hurricanes, and lets not even talk about Flint Michigan.
- What’s your plan on advancing science, renewable energy and environmental protections.
- There’s no reason we shouldn’t be funding wind energy, and solar energy. A simple drive through the midwest will show you just how much undeveloped land we have that could be used to build wind turbines and solar farms. Go out in the middle of the desert out west. Land’s there, and such a venture and investment would create tons of jobs for unemployed and under employed Americans.
- What is your plan on immigration?
- We need something more than a big ass wall that will probably be torn down in 40 years by future generations. We need to first and foremost stop separating families. In fact, those who have jobs in this nation and are benefiting, we should create a program where they can work to getting citizenship. Immigrants come into this country from all corners of this planet looking for a better life. Yes there are laws in place, and yes there should be channels that they have to go through, but at this point witch hunts and traumatizing kids probably isn’t the best way to go about this. But I digress, I want to see a candidate with a concrete plan. A wall wont work simply put, so what else is there?
- What is your plan on Decriminalization of Marijauna and federal research advancement.
- Look it’s 2019, and I can assure you a ton of people do it. Of course that’s not a big enough argument to legalize it, so lets break it down. For starters it’s safer than alcohol, if taxed and sold legally could help invigorate the nations economy, taking down some of that 22 trillion dollars in debt. Not to mention if we decriminalize and legalize marijauna, it’ll save money on law enforcement freeing up resources to fight the current opioid epidemic running rampant through the country.
- What’s the plan on Student Debt, The cost of college, and the educational system as a whole.
- It’s no surprise the cost of college is outrageous, where in a lot of cases those who graduate don’t even end up working in the field they studied for. Student debt is getting out of hand as those cost sky rocket. No longer do we live in the world of yesteryear where getting a summer job could pay for most of your school. No longer do we live in a world where a college degree guarantees you a job. We also live in an education system where teachers feel under paid, and undervalued, and where curriculum’s are virtually centered around testing. Common Core is a joke, yet it’s still in place, and while yes private schools and charter schools have their benefits, it’s not the norm and it’s not feasible to everyone. So why are we not paying these teachers? Why are we not preparing our children and future generations to compete in the future globalized world of tomorrow. Other nations are currently outpacing our children and sadly that may put our country as a whole in a position to be outpaced in the future. Just look at China if you don’t believe me.
Simply put as a voter in this country, I think it’s safe to say on behalf of virtually most of the nation that we just want someone respectable with a plan. I don’t care which side it comes from to be honest, it’d be nice to see the country be shaken up and have a third party independent come through and win it. It would be wonderful just to have someone with a concrete plan, and not loud banter and hollow promises. Of course asking for that is a huge feat in this country. Politics are built on broken promises and fear mongering… But it shouldn’t be that way. It could different, oh so different. Most Americans want the same thing, good jobs, good health, promise of a better tomorrow for their families, and peace of mind. Unfortunately there’s just a million different ways people believe that should be obtained.
I know what I’ve detailed sadly may seem ambitious in the current political climate, but it’s not unobtainable. So here’s hoping for a better tomorrow.